BIOL 206 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Joseph Schumpeter, Social Equality, Supermajority

39 views6 pages
9 Sep 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The general nature of democracy: politics and government, what is politics? a. i. Who gets what, when, and how -- lasswell, 1938 a. ii. Authoritative allocation of values -- easton, 1953 a. iii. Make collective decisions that are binding on the entire society: what is government? b. i. b. ii. Institution that has authority to make binding decisions for the entire society. It is the only institution that can legitimately use coercion and force its decisions. It can use extreme coercion including imprisonment and death. b. iii. Other institutions make decisions to resolve conflicts b. iii. 1. b. iii. 2. Cannot legitimately use force: several basic forms of government c. i. c. ii. Sovereignty: the authority to wield coercive power to allocate values. Form of government determined by where sovereignty is placed c. ii. 1. c. ii. 2. c. ii. 3. Oligarchy: small elite, based on wealth, status, or military. Democracy: all people have opportunity to participate in making binding decisions: process and substance (democracy involves both, democracy as a process a. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers