COMM 350 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Eric A. Havelock, Culture Theory, Frankfurt School

39 views4 pages

Document Summary

Theoretical approaches: mass culture theory, media effects, media. Schools of theory: propaganda studies, toronto school, frankfurt school. Compare & contrast: mass culture theory 1. 0 vs. mass culture. Core ideas/values: mc1: concerned for elite culture shaping development of civilization, mc2: concern for culture as produced and engaged by private citizens. Views of society: mc1: cultivated minority vs. undiscerning mass, mc2: public opinion and voices creates, ways of public thinking. Views of media: mc1: expression of low culture, mc2: media helps public sphere. Compare & contrast: media effects and political economy. Core ideas/values: me: concern for media impact on audiences, pe: focuses on media systems influence issues of ownership and power. Views of society: me: ultimately shaped by media, pe: economic, political and cultural life intertwined and shaped by media ownership and control. Views of media: me: powerful force shaping public opinion, pe: media manufacture consent . Key figures: eric havelock, harold innis, marshall mcluhan,

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers