History
Course
HIST 226
Professor
Ramos
Semester
Fall

Description
I. Redeemers' platform: (redeemers = conservative democrats) a. Decentralized government i. Reaction to Edmund J. Davis 1. Created centralized government to support Freedman's Rights 2. Still a social war ii. Don't want state officials telling them how to live their lives I. Loyalty to Confederacy a. Difference b/w white and black people b. White Supremacy I. "Salvation from" Republicans a. Never liked Republican party b. If you believe you are better than blacks, this is the party for you c. Richard Coke 1874 Governor of Texas (Democratic) I. Redeemers and the Texas Constitution a. Rejected the state Constitution of 1869 i. Coke said it was a Radical Republican Constitution ii. Nothing he stood for iii. It gave the state power I. Implemented the state Constitution of 1876 a. Aug. 1875 start coming up with a new Constitution b. New Constitution had stamp of Redeemers c. 1875 Constitutional Convention i. 75 Democrats ii. 15 Republicans b. Took power away from state officials c. Reduced governor salary d. Reduced the number of times the TX Legislature would meet i. 1 time a year b. Reduced salary of legislature c. Placed public schools and management in the hands of local officials d. Addressed race and segregation i. "Separate schools shall be provided for the white and colored
More Less

Related notes for HIST 226

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit