Philosophy
Course
PHIL 375
Professor
Daniel Conway
Semester
Fall

Description
Children Who Grow Up Without a Mother: Maternal Abandonment: When a mother physically, emotionally, or psychologically  removed herself from her children. She ends or ignores her responsibility to parent her  children. Effects of Maternal Abandonment on the Child: 1. Low Self Esteem: a. “My mom didn’t love me because she left me.” 2. Confusion: a. “Why did my mother leave me?” 3. Guilt: a. “I must have done something really bad, and that’s why she left me.” 4. Fear of other Adults: a. “If I love another adult, they will also leave me.” • Physical abandonment is the most common form of maternal abandonment o Sudden, unexpected, the child feels shock • Psychological is another o Mother treats the child with coldness, apathy or indifference o Sometimes due to the mother’s own past trauma and not intentional Maternal or Paternal Abandonment Worse? • Maternal Abandonment is Worse • A study shows that females living with their mother and males living with their  mother scored higher in school compared to females and males living with their  father. o Their social and behavioral problems were the same, as well as self­ esteem. • A study shows that even leaving your children at daycare can have a negative  effect on their psyche just because of their maternal deprivation. That’s only for a  couple hours a day, so you can only 
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 375

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit