Learning and Memory Tips: What the Research Shows
Why should I participate in class if I don’t get credit for it?
o It is very easy to go through the semester being anonymous.
o Truth, you do not get credit for participation.
The Generation Effect
• Anything you can read or hear.
• You are coming up with ways to help remember the information
• A cue that we use frequently is one associated with our self.
o SelfReference Effect
o Half are placed in the Read Condition, the other half are
placed in the Generate Condition.
o Two groups like this are Between Subject.
o Read Conditio
o Generate Conditi n
• Test: o HOTCOLD (Yes)
o SHORTTALL (Yes)
o SMALLTALL (No)
o QUIETLOUD (Yes)
o RIGHTW (Yes)
o NIGHTD (Yes)
o HIGHL (Yes)
o QUIETS (No)
• Generation effect performs the best memory.
• Ways to better your memory include flashcards, participation,