PSYC 107 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Human Behavior, Behaviorism, Belief Perseverance

20 views3 pages

Document Summary

Psychology is the scientific study of the mind, brain, and behavior. Spans many levels of analysis, runs form biological to social influences. Most of us trust our gut intuition, but we must learn when and when not to do so. Na ve realism= the belief that the world is exactly how we perceive it. Confirmation bias= the tendency to seek out evidence that supports our opinion rather than evidence that contradicts it. Belief perseverance= the tendency to stick to our initial beliefs even when evidence contradicts them (the don"t confuse me with the facts bias) When a set of claims seems scientific, but aren"t. Ad hoc immunizing hypotheses: escape hatches to protect against falsification ( the negative aura in the room is preventing me from using my psychic abilities! , lack of self-correction, overreliance on anecdotes! Our brains are predisposed to make order out of disorder. Seeking out other methods can waste time and money: direct harm.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers