SOCI 230 (16)
Lecture 16

SOCI 230 Lecture 16: SOCI 230 Mead

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Texas A&M University
SOCI 230
Prechel Harland

SOCI 230-902 Georg Herbert Mead (1863-1931) I. Introduction  Social psychologist= one who studies individual as a unit in a social group  Founded Symbolic Interactionism: o Idea that we communicate through symbols which we learn through members as society o Symbols: language, gestures, facial expressions o *** History is not a series of events, but a process of “reflection and interaction” (Mead’s core idea) among people from which new forms of thought, actions and organization continually emerge  Mead’s work emerged when researches questioned theories of motivation emphasized in “individual-generating perspective” where its assumed that behavior was an outcome of internally motivated sources  Mead was opposed to dominant neo-Kantian views of psychology that maintained that perception and understanding take place only through mediation of aprior (fixed) categories  Psychology assumed: o 1. Mind is fixed structure o 2. Self is innate property of the individual • Self = personality  Mead argued that the self develops through “emergent process” in the course of social conduct (interaction)  He was opposed to behaviorist  The formation of the individual was a dialectical process II. Mind, Self and Society  Mead presented the total self as emerging from an internal interaction between a knowing un-socialized self (which he termed the “I”) and a known socialized self (the “Me”)  These 2 selves existed only in relation to each other  3 selves o Un-socialized self (I) o Socialized self (me) o Total self: emerged from the dialectic between “I” and “Me” and is exhibited as a personality III. I and the Me  “I”= spontaneous and propulsive aspect of the individual  “Me”= regulatory and controlling mechanism that reflects social rules IV. Mind  Mind: o Organized abstract entity that is developed by social interaction and psychological activity (internal mental activity) o The tool that’s goal is to adjust the relationship between the individual and the environment o It is: • Formed through social interaction • Inseparable from social processes • Organized so that it is understood only within the context and reference to a social and cultural environment o The origin and development of the human Mind is explained with reference to the interaction process and communication V. Dialectic Emergence: Hegelian Influence  Emergence= the process by whereby the oppositions are resolved that produce self- realization and consciousness of self  Central concept in Mead’s theory is gesture : o Gesture= any physical movement or vocal expression in one creature that instigates or stimulates a response in another creature  2 main types of gestures o Non-symbolic gestures (gestures without deliberation): produce immediate, biologically-based, habitual or reflexive reactions in response to another organism o Symbolic gestures: meaning is “learned”, rather than inherited. Symbolic meaning refers to a conscious gesture whose meaning is understood by the individual using it  Significant symbol: a gesture that arouses the same meaning in other individuals VI. Stages in the Development of Self  Preparatory stage: child does not grasp the meaning of a social act  Play stage: unstable configuration roles  Game stage: takes sever roles at the same time and understands the meaning of each role VII. Significant Symbols  Significant symbols: o 1. Anticipate the behavior response of others o 2. Are the building blocks of language and the means by which people reflect o 3. Are the foundation of self and mind  Vocal gestures are most common and the most important in human societies VIII. Self  Self: the individual personality that is acquired in the process of interac
More Less

Related notes for SOCI 230

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.