Spring 2017

Department
Criminal Justice
Course Code
CRJU 20423
Professor
Merken
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Prison Subculture
Bohm & Walker
Myth = prisons are like country clubs
o Watch TV, exercise, lift weights, nice-prepared food, amazing medical care, cells
are super spacious
Assumptions:
o Being sentenced and serving time is not enough punishment for deterrence to
occur (believe that they should suffer)
o Outstanding budgets is because of the amenities and money that we are putting in
for services and programs for the inmates
Public has no clue how a prison works, how violent some of these individuals are, and
have no idea how a correctional budget works
Kernel of Truth
o Urban development spread houses became closer to prions, see the landscape
and flowers, and trimmed grass (inmates are doing the labor)
o Economical designs/unused facilities have to use old state hospitals, hotel,
military facilities (amenities used to be there; way too much to remove tennis
courts, pools, etc. people think inmates are using them)
o Movies/TV Shows give the idea that inmates are free to walk around prison, work
out, have movie nights, see visitors whenever they want further emphasizes the
myth
o Private prisons = more amenities; run by corporations; money spent
Country-Club Look:
o Landscape comes from work inmates do
Costs:
o Texas prison budget = over $3 billion
o Outside of TX prisons budget = 1 million total (including pensions, retiree health
care, statewide administration costs, inmate health care, inmate
education/training, and other state costs = total taxpayers cost for one year =
$3,306,358
o 254 inmates on death row = $584 million
Recreation and Leisure:
o Any type of recreation or leisure activity (sports, movies, music, crafts) have to
follow protocol under federal guidelines
o Amenities are funded by the inmate working in the prison (no taxpayers or state
funds go to amenities) families can put money in
o Sports = basketball (not every prison has this)
o Not enough work programs and difficult to maintain accounting systems =
earning money is difficult to get and maintain
Personal Amenities:
o No TV’s in every cell; no get together viewings
o They are black and white keep inmates under control like a babysitter
Inmates Privileges:
o 1996 = No Frills Prison Act = created a list of items that are not allowed to be in
inmate’s cells (no coffee pots, hotplates, no unmonitored phone calls)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Prison Subculture Bohm Walker Myth = prisons are like country clubs o Watch TV, exercise, lift weights, niceprepared food, amazing medical care, cells are super spacious Assumptions: o Being sentenced and serving time is not enough punishment for deterrence to occur (believe that they should suffer) o Outstanding budgets is because of the amenities and money that we are putting in for services and programs for the inmates Public has no clue how a prison works, how violent some of these individuals are, and have no idea how a correctional budget works Kernel of Truth o Urban development spread houses became closer to prions, see the landscape and flowers, and trimmed grass (inmates are doing the labor) o Economical designsunused facilities have to use old state hospitals, hotel, military facilities (amenities used to be there; way too much to remove tennis courts, pools, etc. people think inmates are using them) o MoviesTV Shows give the idea that inmates are free to walk around prison, work out, have movie nights, see visitors whenever they want further emphasizes the myth o Private prisons = more amenities; run by corporations; money spent CountryClub Look: o Landscape comes from work inmates do Costs: o Texas prison budget = over 3 billion o Outside of TX prisons budget = 1 million total (including pensions, retiree health care, statewide administration costs, inmate health care, inmate educationtraining, and other state costs = total taxpayers cost for one year = 3,306,358 o 254 inmates on death row = 584 million Recreation and Leisure: o Any type of recreation or leisure activity (sports, movies, music, crafts) have to follow protocol under federal guidelines o Amenities are funded by the inmate working in the prison (no taxpayers or state funds go to amenities) families can put money in o Sports = basketball (not every prison has this) o Not enough work programs and difficult to maintain accounting systems = earning money is difficult to get and maintain Personal Amenities: o No TVs in every cell; no get together viewings o They are black and white keep inmates under control like a babysitter Inmates Privileges: o 1996 = No Frills Prison Act = created a list of items that are not allowed to be in inmates cells (no coffee pots, hotplates, no unmonitored phone calls)
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit