ADV 2151 Lecture Notes - Lecture 22: Copperplate Gothic, Pantone, Starbucks

21 views2 pages
Pole solig is the oly skill that ill ee e atiuated ut the ehile fo delieig the
solution/message is ever changing.
A creative director has to consider many more aspects of an ad now, along with all the
traditional visual components: Who's viewing the ad? What are their interests? What sorts of
engagement options within the ad might appeal to them? It's no longer enough to simply
deliver the viewer a call to action at the end of the ad and then a chance to click through.
The creative director of the future will collaborate a lot more with marketing folks than he or
she might today.
Knowing your way around UX design is one thing, but the new requirements of the creative
director role go even deeper. It's vital that marketing and creative direction be properly
integrated with one another, and I'm not seeing that happen enough today. While marketers
decide where a campaign is run, the creative director should be involved in this process,
considering not only how to make a campaign cohesive across all chosen platforms, but how
creative can take advantage of the unique traits of each platform -- and, perhaps even more
importantly, how creative should adapt depending on where the ad runs and how it performs
there.
Moig fo stati ads to iteatie
Then, there's the issue of variables. Long gone are the days when a couple of static Photoshop
images sufficed for an ad campaign. Now that digital ads can incorporate intelligence about the
user into the ad itself, it's not enough for the creative director to come up with one fixed-layout
ad -- they have to design ads that will adapt themselves to data.
Data & Targeting will continue to be king/queen
Imagine a digital display ad for Starbucks that uses real-time weather information and
geolocation data to show an appealing beverage to the user. Of course, someone shivering
through a foggy morning in San Francisco is going to crave a different sort of drink than
someone wilting under the scorching noonday sun in Dallas. Even something as simple as the
variations in text -- "Hey, San Francisco!" vs. "Hey, Dallas!" -- dramatically affects the look of the
ad (just look at the difference in character count). And that's just the opening sentence.
The best creative directors are already incorporating and integrating data and media
Data and media alongside Pantone 15-3919 ad Coppeplate Gothi Light, it’s all ipotat --
and in five years, every creative director will be solving for variables and creating interactive
storytelling experiences just as much as they'll be thinking about "the big idea."
So, what's in store for the industry in ten years?
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

P(cid:396)o(cid:271)le(cid:373) sol(cid:448)i(cid:374)g is the o(cid:374)ly skill that (cid:449)ill (cid:374)e(cid:448)e(cid:396) (cid:271)e a(cid:374)ti(cid:395)uated (cid:271)ut the (cid:862)(cid:448)ehi(cid:272)le(cid:863) fo(cid:396) deli(cid:448)e(cid:396)i(cid:374)g the solution/message is ever changing. It"s no longer enough to simply deliver the viewer a call to action at the end of the ad and then a chance to click through. The creative director of the future will collaborate a lot more with marketing folks than he or she might today. Knowing your way around ux design is one thing, but the new requirements of the creative director role go even deeper. It"s vital that marketing and creative direction be properly integrated with one another, and i"m not seeing that happen enough today. Long gone are the days when a couple of static photoshop images sufficed for an ad campaign. Data & targeting will continue to be king/queen. Imagine a digital display ad for starbucks that uses real-time weather information and geolocation data to show an appealing beverage to the user.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers