Summer 2014

Department
Anthropology
Course Code
ANTH 0815
Professor
Dave
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Language Matter
This chapter was about the death of languages, specifically the death of small languages.
(The author called languages with big population’s big languages and Languages with
small population’s small languages).
The thesis of this chapter was that we are better off with having small languages or at
least with having made a record of them before they die.
There were three main reasons why we are better off with having small languages.
The first reason was that language is not just a way of communication, but it encodes a
culture and or it’s or a belief system.
The author points out that when you share a language you don’t just share vocabulary
and grammar but you also share a certain understanding of the world.
The second reason was that language gives an insight into how the human mind
organizes and structures information.
The last reason was because the death of a language co exists with the erosion or fading
of human knowledge base.
My question is specific to those in the class that are fluent in a language besides English;
do you take pride in your language when you are surrounded by people speaking
another language?
Growing up have you ever tried to not speak your native language?
Hey Tseohnni:
To answer your first question, my mother language is Chinese not English, and I
definitely feel proud that I can speak two languages.
I feel happy that I can help people who live in the United States but only can speak
Chinese. I also feel excited to help the foreigners who live in China but only can speak
English.
However, I prefer to speak the same language with the people who surround me. In the
United States, I would like to speak more English and make myself more into American
society.
In China, I prefer speak Chinese and enjoy my life in China.
To answer your second question, I never think about to give up my native language.
I feel pound that I can speak two languages and have ability to communicate with
different languages people.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Language Matter This chapter was about the death of languages, specifically the death of small languages. (The author called languages with big populations big languages and Languages with small populations small languages). The thesis of this chapter was that we are better off with having small languages or at least with having made a record of them before they die. There were three main reasons why we are better off with having small languages. The first reason was that language is not just a way of communication, but it encodes a culture and or its or a belief system. The author points out that when you share a language you dont just share vocabulary and grammar but you also share a certain understanding of the world. The second reason was that language gives an insight into how the human mind organizes and structures information. The last reason was because the death of a language co exists with the erosion or fading of human knowledge base. My question is specific to
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit