BIOL 2001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Central Dogma Of Molecular Biology, Uracil, Ribosomal Rna

54 views3 pages
21 Feb 2018
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

A copy of mrna is made that is complementary to a strand of dna. Sequence of bases in dna or rna makes up the genetic code. All 3 types of rna are involved in translation mrna, rrna, and trna. To transcribe (cid:373)ea(cid:374)s (cid:862)to paraphrase or su(cid:373)(cid:373)arize i(cid:374) writi(cid:374)g. (cid:863) the i(cid:374)for(cid:373)atio(cid:374) i(cid:374) dna is transcribed or summarized into a smaller version rna that can be used by the cell. The process in which cells make proteins is called protein synthesis. It actually consists of 2 processes: transcription and translation. It uses dna as a template to make an rna molecule. Rna then leaves the nucleus and goes to a ribosome in the cytoplasm, where translation occurs. Translation reads the genetic code in mrna and makes a protein. Transcription is the first part of the central dogma of molecular biology: dna rna. It is the transfer of genetic instructions in dna to messenger rna (mrna).

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers