CSCD 1108 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Syntactic Category, Pro-Form, Colorless Green Ideas Sleep Furiously

34 views6 pages

Document Summary

Semantics vs. syntax, syntax: the study of the component of grammar that concerns the arrangement of words to form sentences, a sentence= a subject & a predicate. Subject: np (noun phrase) in a special position in the sentence. Predicate: vp (verb phrase), which may contain object np(s: semantically, a sentence expresses a proposition, made up of a predicate & argument(s), argument: referring expression (usually a np) Subject expresses a specific type of argument (usually contains old information whose existence/truth is assumed as given) Predicate (typically a v, asserts something about the subject, or predicates something of it (i. e. adds new information about it)) A, or other adverbs: grammatical relations: structural positions for nps in a s. Subject: np that is daughter of s, i. e. , np immediately dominated by s: direct object: np that is daughter of vp, i. e. , np immediately dominated by vp.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers