Tourism & Hospitality Management
Course
STHM 1311
Professor
Dr.Wes Roehl
Semester
Spring

Description
STHM 1311, February 3/5/10, 2014 1 1. Chapter 1 a. Attractions & events i. Central aspect of tourism 1. Draw visitors to the destination a. Drawing Power: the distance from which an  attraction can attract attendance (regional,  international, etc.) ii. Classifications: 1. Primary destination a. Motivated to travel farther to visit b. Several day stay 2. Secondary/stopover destination a. Visit on the way to someone where, possibly  required, possibly chosen b. Shorter visit c. Stop­by destination iii. Typology: 1. Ownership a. Private b. Public/government c. Nonprofit 2. Permanency a. Site attractions i. Physical ii. Largely permanent b. Event attractions i. Short duration ii. Location can be changed iv. Events & Festivals 1. Reasons for development a. To make money b. To celebrate holidays, seasons, or historical events c. To provide cultural or educational experience d. To unite and give a feeling of pride to a particular  community b. Facilities i. Supportive the success of attraction ii. Roles: 1. Include lodging, food & beverages, shops 2. Necessary to serve visitors while they are away from their  homes 3. Support rather than induce tourism growth 4. Need to be developed at the same or after the attractions are  developed 5. The mere presence of facilities will not bring visitors iii. Types STHM 1311, February 3/5/10, 2014 2 1. Souvenir and duty­free shops 2. Laundries & dry cleaning services 3. Guide services (i.e.: sightseeing) 4. Festival & event areas 5. Recreational facilities & parks 6. Visitor information centers 7. Business/office services c. Infrastructure i. Supportive the success of attraction ii. Types 1. TRANSPORTATION 2. Water systems 3. Communication networks 4. Healthcare facilities 5. Power sources 6. Sewage/drainage areas 7. Streets & highways 8. Security systems (e.g.: police, fire, customs, & immigration  services) d. Transportation  i. Supportive the success of attraction ii. To get visitors to and from the destination and to provide for  internal movement within the destination 1. Transportation modes a. Breaks
More Less

Related notes for STHM 1311

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit