DFST 430 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Morse Code, Neurolinguistics, Pragmatics
21 views4 pages
What is language?
Rule-governed communication systems
How do humans communicate / share info?
Does ASL have rules?
Without rules – cannot communicate thoughts and ideas with others
Are all languages communication systems? YES
Are all communication systems languages? NO
Language used by humans; can talk/sign
• Talk – have voice
• Sign – have hands
Do animals use language?
• Only communicate via mimics, songs, copy
• Cannot talk due to anatomy
What is communication? - A process by which information is exchanged between individuals through
common system of symbols, signs, or behavior
Examples of communication systems – Morse code, Semaphores, What bees, dolphins, non-human
primates use, SEE I, SEE II
• A “shared system” known to sender and receiver
• Has certain “rules” for its use – has meaning
• Examples: Morse code, Semaphore, traffic signals, symbols
• A way to “exchange information” between parties
• Use different modalities (speak, sign, write, draw)
Why study language?
• Become conscious / aware about language
• Be capable of understanding our language better