HONR 370 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Negrescence, Miscegenation, Internalized Racism

40 views3 pages

Document Summary

Identity who am i: definition of myself, including the values, beliefs, and ideals that guide my behavior. Socialization: process by which children learn the attitudes and behaviors expected of them by society or culture, transmission. Enculturation: contents and perspective of culture taught through repetition (unconscious) Social identities categories: sex, gender, ethnicity, class, religion, culture, age, language, ability/disability, sexual orientation. Social identity development models: describe awareness and understanding of oppression, key assumptions: We respond differently impacted by cognitive development. Sid"s track progress from negative to positive views of self. Racial identity development: cross (1971) developed the first ever social identity model. Internalization: secure black identity, accepting of other cultures: janet helms. Contact: uninformed about realities of discrimination color blind . Disintegration: increased exposure causes incongruence with notions of minority inferiority. Pseudoindependence: acknowledging existence of racism, believe the solution is to change blacks internalized racism. Immersion/emersion: exploring own culture, focused on changing understanding of being white in diverse society.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers