POSC 209 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Direct Examination, Verdict, Fokker E.Ii

120 views2 pages

Document Summary

Interest groups sometimes get involved: sponsors a test case. To get government policy created related to interest group: when doesn"t have political clout. Steps in a civil case: preliminary: plaintiff may have a choice of where to file the lawsuit a. i. Defense attorney filing pretrial motion or answer to complaint a. iii. 1. Counterclaim for the same matter: discovery b. i. Can be used to discredit someone at trial. If something was going to happen to person on your side then take deposition b. ii. Written questions submitted by one party to another party, answered under oath b. ii. 2. Court will set number of questions allowed to ask & follow up questions b. ii. 2. a. Have to get permission for judge for additional questions b. iii. With court order: pretrial conference, possible pretrial settlement, trial e. i. 6 person jury in many u. s. district courts (maryland) e. ii. Plaintiff"s attorney goes first (has burden of proof) e. ii. 1. Defense attorney tells judge burden of proof has not been met e. v.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers