Biology
Course
BIO-0013
Professor
Michelle Gaudette
Semester
Fall

Description
October 16, 2013 Karyotype – shows the number and type of chromosomes in the cell • Spectrokaryotyping – dyes each type of chromosome a different color Ploidy – the number of chromosomes of each type that are present in a cell • Ex: haploid (1n) , diploid (2n), etc.  Meiosis overview: • DNA replication (1n  ▯2n) • Meiosis I – reduction in ploidy (2n  ▯1n) • Meiosis II – basically what happens in mitosis, except in a haploid cell; reduction in DNA  content (Stays at 1n) Meiosis specifics: • Interphase: chromosomes replicate in parent cell; uncondensed chromosomes • Early Prophase I: chromosomes condense; nuclear envelope breaks up; spindle apparatus  forms; synapsis (pairing) of homologous chromosomes  o Homologous chromosomes line up next to each other (instead of along one plane  in mitosis)  ▯allows for crossing over o Tetrad = 4 chromatids from homologous chromosomes • Late Prophase I: Crossing over of non­sister chromatids (often multiple crossovers  between the same chromatids) o Crossing over occurs between homologous chromosomes
More Less

Related notes for BIO-0013

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit