BIO-0013 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Kinetic Energy, Linear Form, Activation Energy

13 views5 pages
25 Sep 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Carbohydrates, linear form of glucose, ring forms of glucose b. i. b. ii. Hydroxyl forms due to electron rich o-h and electron poor c=o. If hydroxyl forms pointing down it"s a-glucose b. iii. If hydroxyl forms pointing up it"s b-glucose: linking carbohydrates to form polysaccharides c. i. Chitin is an example that gives bugs structure and support. Starch is an example of energy storage in plants. Glycogen is the same as starch in humans c. iv. Glycosidic linkages bond saccharides together c. iv. 1. c. iv. 2. c. iv. 3. Starts with the carbon that was connected to the carbonyl and binds with any other carbon, depending on shape and structure: storage polysaccharides provide accessible forms of sugar d. i. Used for energy storage in plant cells such as potatoes d. ii. Used for energy storage in animal cells such as in muscles and the liver: cells obtain energy from food for synthesis, catabolic pathways i. ii. iii. iv. Useful building blocks from the leftovers: anabolic pathways i. ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers