• advocates for children and educators
• accreditation, is now the standard of preschools
• Developmentally Appropriate Practices
o What is appropriate for children in general?
o What is appropriate for that child as an individual?
o What is important in the culture?
• Guidelines for effective teaching
o Create a caring community of learners
o Teach to enhance development and learning
o Assess development and learning
o Establish reciprocal relationships with families
• For young children, a safe, warm, nurturing place is needed
o Comfort and security needed for academic learning to occur
o Lack of it inhibits learning
• Discussion Questions
o How does NAEYC define the purpose/goals of education and specifically early
It should be specified to a child’s individual needs as much as possible
Prepare children for the future
Provide/create an even playing field
o What are the problems/dilemmas in society that NAEYC believes can be