CTD 481 Lecture 4: CTD 481 6 Month Intro to Planning Sales Notes

2 Pages

Department
Clothing, Textiles and Interior Design
Course Code
CTD 481
Professor
Ms.Davis

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
CTD 481 6 Month Intro to Planning Sales Pre-Market – Buyers • Complete a six month plan that sets goals for sales, inventory levels, markdowns, and determines the open-to-buy or budget for the department • Monitor fashion trends to determine what will be appropriate for the upcoming season • Plan assortments by vendor, style, and classification • Make appointments with sales reps • Run reports on current vendors’ business Six Month Planning • Before a buyer can go to market to choose their merchandise, they must complete a six-month plan ➢ This is the most important step in the buying process • This includes goals for sales, inventory levels, markdowns, and determines the open-to-buy or budget for the department • Since market occurs generally 5-6 months before the season, plans are usually completed 6-7 months in advance of the season ➢ Example: for the spring 2015 season, planning will likely occur around July 2014 before market in August/September 2014 Six Month Merchandise Plan • 4 key components of a merchandise plan: 1. Planned Sales: how much you plan to sell 2. Planned Stock: how much merchandise you plan to have on hand in order to achieve planned sales 3. Planned Markdowns: how much you plan to spend on markdowns in order to achieve planned sales 4. Planned Receipts: how much you plan to spend on new merchandise to sell to achieve planned sales Planning Season Sales • Review and analyze past sales performance for the same period (i.e. Last Year or LY) • Consider factors tat may cause a change in sales: ➢ Current sales trends ➢ Previous rate of growth patterns ➢ Economic conditions ➢ Local business conditions ➢ Fashion factors ➢ Influencing conditions within and outside the store o Changes in store concept, market direction, competition • Once LY has been analyzed and other factors considered, a planned percept of increase or decrease in sales from LY is determined ➢ Example: I have planned increase of 8% over LY for my sales for the upcoming Spring season
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit