HHE 378 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Somatic Nervous System, Autonomic Nervous System, Spinal Cord

25 views3 pages

Document Summary

The nervous system: somatic nervous system, sensory information, voluntary actions, autonomic nervous system (ans, sympathetic branch, parasympathetic branch, central nervous system (cns, brain, spinal cord. Somatic nervous system: carries sensory information into the central nervous system, carries motor (movement) information back out to the peripheral nerves, controls voluntary actions, acetylcholine is the neurotransmitter at neuromuscular junctions. Central nervous system: consists of the brain and the spinal cord, has many functions. Integration of information: learning and memory, coordination of activity. Dopamine: found in basal ganglia and other regions, nigrostriatal dopamine pathway- related to (cid:373)us(cid:272)le rigidity (cid:894)parki(cid:374)so(cid:374)"s disease(cid:895, mesolimbic dopamine pathway, related to psychotic behavior (i. e. schizophrenia, possible component of the (cid:862)re(cid:449)ard(cid:863) properties of drugs, 2. Acetylcholine: found in the cerebral cortex and parasympathetic branch. I(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)ed i(cid:374) alzhei(cid:373)er"s disease and initiation of rem sleep: 3. Norepinephrine: regulates level of arousal and attentiveness, may play a role in initiation of food intake, maybe stimulants work here, 4.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers