HD 210 Lecture Notes - Lecture 21: Not Otherwise Specified, Compulsive Buying Disorder, Behavioral Addiction

78 views3 pages

Document Summary

Compulsive buying disorder: compulsive buying disorder is not an official diagnosis. It has traditionally fell under the broad category of impulse control disorder- not otherwise specified. Shopping addiction: why do people shop excessively, 1. Instrumental gains and achievement: products are an outward sign of achievement, buying things to show that you have achieved in life, (cid:862)people thi(cid:374)k i"(cid:448)e got money to (cid:271)u(cid:455) (cid:272)lothes. I do(cid:374)"t reall(cid:455), (cid:271)ut people think i"(cid:448)e got (cid:373)o(cid:374)e(cid:455) to (cid:271)u(cid:455) (cid:272)lothes i a(cid:373) (cid:374)ot just a housewife Enhance identity: compulsive buyers may seek products to enhance identity deficits, a compulsive buyer is one that feels there is a gap between their current self-concept and their ideal self-concept and believes materials can change their self-concept. Interpersonal conflict/marital conflict: substantial financial debts, legal problems. Some estimate that as many as 1 in 4 people with ocd also have compulsive hoarding: someone who hoards may exhibit the following:

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers