Tripp (12)
Lecture 19

LGS 200 Lecture 19: Macroeconomics Chapter 19 Notes

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Alabama
Legal Studies
LGS 200

Macroeconomics Chapter 19 Notes The Market For Loanable Funds • An identity from the preceding chapter: S = I + NCO (saving) = (domestic income) + (net capital outflow) • Supply of loanable funds = saving • A dollar of saving can be used to finance ➢ The purchase of domestic capital ➢ The purchase of a foreign asset • So, demand for loanable funds = I + NCO • Recall: ➢ S depends positively on the real interest rate, r. ➢ I depends negatively on r. • What about NCO? How NCO Depends on the Real Interest Rate • The real interest rate, r, is the real return on domestic assets. • A fall in r makes domestic assets less attractive relative to foreign assets. ➢ People in the US purchase more foreign assets ➢ People abroad purchase fewer US assets ➢ NCO rises The Loanable Funds Market Diagram • r adjusts to balance supply and demand in the loanable funds market • Both I and NCO depend negatively on r, so the demand curve is downward- sloping. The Market for Foreign-Currency Exchange • Another identity from the previous chapter: NCO = NX (net capital outflow) = (net exports) • In the market for foreign-currency exchange: ➢ NX is the demand for dollars: Foreigners need dollars to buy US net exports. ➢ NCO is the supply of dollars: US residents sell d
More Less

Related notes for LGS 200

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.