MUS 121 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Main Source, Toccata, Ternary Form

53 views5 pages

Document Summary

Music mainly enjoyed by the wealthy: pri(cid:448)ate patro(cid:374)age i(cid:374) (cid:272)ourt syste(cid:373) (cid:894)lord, ki(cid:374)g, pri(cid:374)(cid:272)es, (cid:374)ot legal syste(cid:373)(cid:895) Sacred music still important, but composers begin to shift towards secular music. Italy, particularly venice, was main center of music: political power/wealth, other areas active towards end of era. Repetitive rhythmic patterns organize a composition: melody. Short fragments of melodies (motive: texture. Mostly polypho(cid:374)i(cid:272); shift to(cid:449)ards ho(cid:373)opho(cid:374)i(cid:272) (cid:271)y era"s e(cid:374)d: dynamics. Terraced dynamics: changing levels n a non-gradual manner: emotional connection: Shift to tonal music evoked emotional response. One key used per piece (or per movement on multi-movement works: form. Clearly defined sections with repetition more common. Main theme (ritornello) returns after statements of new music. Instrumental and vocal music flourished with new genres. Camerata (cid:894)(cid:862)fello(cid:449)ship(cid:863)(cid:895: group of noblemen, artists, and academics in florence, wanted to authentically revive ancient greek drama. Spoken drama intensified with addition of music: originally used mixture of speech and singing to project in amphitheatres.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers