Stats Chapter 1 Notes
1. In a recent poll, researches found that 47% of American adult respondents
reported getting at least some local news on their cell phone or tablet
compute. Then 42% who own cell phones or tablet computers use those
devices to check local weather reports and 37% use the devices to find local
restaurants or other businesses.
• One statistic reported concerned using cell phones or tablets for local news.
What population is that finding applicable to?
➢ All American adults
• Another statistic concerned using cell phones or tablet computers to check
local weather reports and to find local restaurants. What population is this
finding applicable to?
➢ American adults that own a cell phone and/or tablet computer
2. The Commerce Department reported receiving the following applications for
the Malcolm Baldridge National Quality Award: 23 from large manufacturing
firms, 18 from large service firms, and 30 from small businesses.
• Is type of business a qualitative or quantitative variable?
• What percentage of the applications came from small businesses?
➢ 30/71 = 42.3%
3. Kroger is one of the largest grocery stores in the US with over 2,000 grocery
stores across the country. Kroger uses online customer opinion
questionnaire to obtain performance data about its products and services
and learn about what motivates its customers. In the survey, Kroger
customers were asked if they would be willing to pay more for products that
had each of the following four characteristics. The four questions were:
would you pay more for products that have a band name? Products t