COM 202 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Intercultural Communication, Network Layer

77 views2 pages

Document Summary

Intercultural communication: any communication occurring between members of different cultures where comm. is significantly influenced by cultural differences. Key point #1: intercultural communication is defined dialectically (as a matter of degree) I. e. not all intercultural interactions are equal, some present greater challenges than others. Ic involves the impact of cultural differences of communication. The extent of this impact may vary considerably. Key point #2: challenges associated with cultural differences can occur in many situations- not just obvious ones. Areas of difference among cultures (reviewed in 101 chapter) We(cid:859)ll defi(cid:374)e 3 disti(cid:374)ct, yet i(cid:374)tert(cid:449)i(cid:374)ed, (cid:858)layers(cid:859) of ic as a field of study. We(cid:859)ll co(cid:374)sider each layer i(cid:374) (cid:448)arious (cid:449)ays throughout the course. The layers of intercultural communication: the explanatory layer. Esse(cid:374)tially co(cid:374)sists of a co(cid:374)sideratio(cid:374) of the (cid:858)(cid:373)echa(cid:374)is(cid:373)s(cid:859) of culture. How does culture itself evolve: the explanatory layer, the practical layer, the ethical layer.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers