United States (312,228)
COM 225 (34)

Self Presentation.docx

6 Pages
Unlock Document

University at Buffalo
COM 225
Bonnie Mc Cracken

Self Presentation Friday, February 7, 2014 8:59 AM Why is learning the self important? • Components of self and self-reflection can be used to improve communication skills and your self-esteem • How to present and maintain a positive self when interacting with others • "Know thyself"- before understanding our interactions with others, we must first understand ourselves What is the "self"? • Self- made up of 3 distinct, yet integrated components, that evolve continually over time based on life experience o Self-awareness- viewing yourself as a unique person distinct from surroundings; ability to step outside of yourself and reflect on your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors • Critical self-reflection- targeted self-awareness  What am I thinking/feeling and why?  How is it affecting my communicating?  How can I improve my thoughts/feelings/communication? o Self-concept- your overall perception of who you are based on your beliefs, attitudes, and values • Shaped by your gender, culture, family, and friends • Looking-glass self- thinking about how others see you has a powerful effect on how you think about yourself o Self-esteem- the overall value, positive or negative, that we assign to ourselves. Evaluations of self-worth • Self-fulfilling prophecies- making predictions about our behavior or future interactions, then behaving in ways that ensure the prediction is correct  "I am going to deliver a great presentation!"  "No one's going to talk to me anyway" • People with high self-esteem report:  Greater life satisfaction  Communicate more positively with others  Experience more happiness in their relationships  Exhibit greater leadership ability  Greater athleticism  Greater academic performance • Self-discrepancy theory- self-esteem is determined by how you compare your ideal self and your ought self  Ideal self- "Perfect you"  Ought self- the person others wish and expect you to be  High self-esteem- your perceptions of actual self match both ideal and ought  Low self-esteem- often stems from a discrepancy between your actual self, your ideal self, and your ought self How does the self-concept develop? • Age 6-7 months we begin recognizing the self as distinct from surroundings o Some features of our self are immediately apparent • Reflected appraisal- self-concept is a reflection of the messages you've received throughout our life o Ex. Supportive parents vs. unsupportive parents • Social comparison- evaluating ourselves in terms of how we compare with others Influences on self • Gender- lifelong gender socialization o Learning what it means to be "male" or "female" • Family o Influential in our feelings toward attachment to others • Culture o Individualistic vs. collectivistic Presenting your self • Erving Goffman- Sociologist interested in behavior in public settings o Contributions include: • Revealing the rules and norms that guide public performance • Providing a framework for studying human interaction based on the idea that life is "drama" and that we play roles as "actors" and engage in "performance"  Ex. Engagement proposals • Facework o Face- the identity that you actively create and present through communication o Positive face- the desire to be liked, approved of, included o Negative face- the desire to be respected o Mask- public self designed to strategically veil private self • Face threatening actions oThreats to own face (Ex. Athletes on steroids, inappropriate social media, tripping and falling, etc.) oThreats to other's face (Ex. Outing someone in public, challenging someone's credibility) o Vicarious face threats (Ex. Something happens to someone else that could affect your face, Tanner Hannold) o Important because: • We're emotionally invested in our own face • Losing face can damage others' impressions of you • At the core of why so many of the communication strategies we use do or do not work well (criticism, conflict, social support) • Maintaining face o Most people want you to maintain face • When a face threatening act occurs: o Promptly acknowledge
More Less

Related notes for COM 225

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.