Sociology
Course
SOC 101
Professor
Professor Hatton
Semester
Spring

Description
 SOC101 – Lecture 2.18.14  Chapter 2: Culture  BBC Trailer: The Human Planet  What is culture?  Culture: language, beliefs, values, norms, behaviors, and material objects passed down  from generations – social structures that are created and recreated over time Material culture: (cultural objects) – tangible objects: jewelry, clothing etc.  Nonmaterial culture: (symbolic culture) – intangible objects: ways of thinking,  ideas, behaviors, etc. symbol: something to which people attach meaning gestures: ways that people use to convey various meanings – vary across  different cultures  language: the primary way people communicate with each other – both verbal  and writing (cultural transmission through language) – a social construction  created and changed over time by people  values, norms, and sanctions:  values – what is desirable/undesirable – underlies preferences in a culture  (i.e., women’s weight and body look)   norms   the expectation or “rules” of behavior that develop from a way of  life of a culture (i.e., French game show clip)   folkways: not an incredibly important norm – may get in small  trouble if broken  mores: more important norms in society – punishable by law or  other negative consequences  taboos: very strictly and strongly enforced norms – by all means  can never violate (cannibalism, murder, etc.) sanctions: prescriptive: encouraging people to uphold norms (teaching a  child to say thank you, etc.) proscriptive: encouraging peopl
More Less

Related notes for SOC 101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit