Lecture Notes Biomes

6 Pages

Department
Biological Sciences Program
Course Code
BSCI 106
Professor
all

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Biomes 09/05/2012 Biomes – major groupings of plant and animal communities defined by dominant vegetation Each biome associated with distinctive abiotic conditions Terrestrial biomes depend on climate. Term “Biome” not usually applied to aquatic systems – but they can also be divided into types by  abiotic parameters Aquatic Biomes Occupy the largest part of the biosphere Environment Affects Distribution of Organisms in Aquatic Communities 5 major environmental factors temperature nutrient supply light intensity salinity type of bottom Light decreases with depth Marine Biomes Salt concentration of up to 3% Cover approximately 75% of the Earth’s surface Ocean has lower species diversity than does land All phyla represented in oceans, but only a few species of each 2  Biomes In contrast, few phyla represented on land, but many species in each phyla Marine zonation Neritic zone – shallow waters along coasts Relatively large number of species Nutrients from runoff leads to high productivity (great fisheries) Interactions between land and sea, transition zone from ocean to land Organisms pre­adapted to life on land due to desiccation resistance Intertidal zone (part of Neritic) – area between low and high tide 3 different types, depending on substrate mudflats water moves slowly mangrove swamps and salt marshes hatcheries and nurseries of many marine animals (shrimp, flounder, fish) nesting and feeding spots for waterfowl sand less stable than mudflats water moves faster rocky more diverse than mudflats or sand substrate for anchoring of sessile animals and algae desiccation and wave action result in distinct zonation Biomes 3 Coral reefs (tropical neritic zones) Nutrient­poor waters Productivity dependent upon photosynthesis Clear water aids symbiotic algae Photic zone 100­200m from surface – light penetrates phytoplankton accounts for 40% of Earth’s photosynthesis heterotrophic organisms (nekton or zooplankton) also abundant productivity may be underestimated due to rapid turnover Benthic zone Ocean bottom In neretic zone – can have anchored algae In peagic zone – fed by rain of nutrients Bacteria, fungi, seaweed and filamentous algae, numerous invertebrates, and fish Abyssal zone Area twice that of exposed land masses Covered by thick layer of fine mud Dependent on material sinking fro
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit