Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:43 PM
Scientific inquiry proceeds from the formulations of hypothesesbased on previous observations,and
subsequent testing of these hypothesesfrom additional observations
- Hypotheses - "statementsof pattern of events"
Theory - system of ideas intended to explain something
- In theory is a synonym to "in principle" or "by following these rules"
- Theories are predictive
- Theories don't necessarily have to be scientific
Theories in science must have an empirical component
Scientific theory - "comprehensiveframeworkfor describing, explaining, and making falsifiable
predictions about related sets of phenomena based on rigorous observation,experimentation,and
Major theories of Eastern Sunrise
- Geocentrism(earth is in center)
- Heliocentrism(sun is in center)