Economics
Course
ECON 305
Professor
Dr.Neri
Semester
Spring

Description
Econ 2-20 Pxy=NGDP V= NGDP/M=PXY/M Quantity equation (equation of exchange) MV= PY (quantity equation) M/P= real money balances, the purchasing power of the money supply M/P= y/V Money supply is controlled by the Fed, we want to take it and adjust for prices d (M/P) =kY (money demand) K=1/V (connection b/w money demand and quantity equation) Where k= how much money people wish to hold for each dollar of income (its exogenous) (M/P) is the demand for real balances M ×V =P ×Y  When people hold lots of money relative to their incomes (k is large), money changes hands infrequently (V is small). Assume V is constant and exogenous… Leading to the Quantity Theory of Money How the price level is determined:  With V constant, the money supply determines nominal GDP (P Y ). ΔM ΔV ΔP ΔY + = + M V P Y  Real GDP (Y) is determined by the economy’s supplies of K and L and the production function (Chap 3). ΔM ΔY ΔP π = − π = M Y P  The price level is P = (nominal GDP)/(real GDP).   (Greek letter “pi”) denotes the inflation rate: The growth rate of a product equals the sum of the growth rates Normal economic growth requires a certain amount of money supply growth to facilitate the growth in transactions, however money growth in excess of this amount leads to inflation Y/Y depends on growth in the factors of production and on technological progress (all of which we take as given, for now). Hence, the Quantity Theory predicts a one-for-one relation between changes in the money growth rate and changes in the inflation rate. The quantity theory of money implies: 1. Countries with higher money growth rates should have higher inflation rates. 2. The long-run trend behavior of a country’s inflation should be similar to the long-run trend in the country’s money growth rate.  To spend more without raising taxes or selling bonds, the govt can print money.  The “revenue” raised from printing money is called seigniorage  The inflation tax: Printing money to raise revenue causes inflation. Inflation is like a tax on people who hold money Real interest rate, r adjusted for inflation: r = i    Chap 3: S = I determines r .(S, I and r are real variables)  Hence, an increase in  causes an equal increase in i.  This one-for-one relationship is called the Fisher effect. Suppose V is constant, M is g
More Less

Related notes for ECON 305

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit