Government and Politics
Course
GVPT 170
Professor
Patrick Wohlfarth
Semester
Fall

Description
[2] Constitution Monday,September 30,2013 10:22 AM Delegation & Collective Action Delegation • Assigning decision-making authority • Smaller number of people act on behalf of the larger group • principal-> agents Dangers of delegation • agent does not act in your best interest • hidden action • hidden information • madison's dilemma • “You must first enable the government to control the governed: and in the next place oblige it to control itself.” The Constitution Article of Confederation,1781-1789 • no executive branch • "afraid of tyranny" • each state has one vote • major laws-required 9 out of 13 states to agree • constitutional amendment required unanimity • e.g.direct taxation • power controlled by the states Problems with the A of Confed • currency • war debts • public order • e.g.shay's rebellion • Protesters,including many war veterans,shut down county courts in the later months of 1786 to stop the judicial hearings for tax and debt collection. • The protesters became radicalized against the state government following the arrests of some of their leaders,and began to organize an armed force.A militia raised as a private army defeated a Shaysite (rebel) attempt to seize the federal Springfield Armory in late January 1787,killing four and wounding 20. • bottom line: plagued by free rider problems • Virtually 13 separate governments following the Revolutionary War • confederation = national government derives limited authority from the states (but not the citizens) The Constitution The Framers had two basic goals • more centralized authority-delegation • solve a set of collective action problems • minimize the dangers from delegation • place limits on government [think of it as crafting the appropriate balance of power] Bargaining & compromise in the constitution • large vs small states (population) • i.e.reporesentaion • northern vs southern states • i.e.slavery • governmental power vs people • i.e.how much centralized authority while protecting individual freedoms • national vs state power • i.e.how much centralized authority while retaining some power for the states The Virginia Plan THE ISSUE OF SLAVERY: NORTH-SOUTH COMPROMISE Southern states wanted to count slaves as part of their population • More representatives in the House. • Yet these “citizens”had no rights in that state. North-South Compromise • The 3/5ths Rule • No taxing of slavery • Return runaway slaves • No restrictions on slavery until 1808 DESIGNING THE EXECUTIVE Electoral College • Apportionment combines population and state-based representation. • States choose method of selecting electors. • House chooses when no candidate receives majority in the Electoral College. THE BALANCE OF POWER More Centralized Authority • Commerce Clause • Foreign Policy • Necessary and Proper Clause Limiting Government • Bill of Rights • Separation of Powers • Checks and Balances • Judicial Review–Marbury v.Madison (1803) LIMITS ON THE PEOPLE The Constitution: Responsive To,Yet Insulated From,Popular Will • Only U.S.House members selected directly by voters
More Less

Related notes for GVPT 170

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit