Nixon's domestic Agenda
• "The Last Liberal" though he hated liberals
o Clean Air/Clean Water Acts
o Earned Income Taxed Credit
o Endangered Species Act
o Family Planning Clinics
o Family Assistance Plan (1600/family/year)
• Blocked by democrats
o Affirmative Action "Philadelphia Plan"
o Wage/Price Controls
• National Health Care (blocked by Dems)
• Saw himself as a pro-business moderate/conservative
• Pro-"Law and Order"
o Increased police militancy
• Supported Gun Control and "no-knock"
o Federal Law allowing police to kick down doors without first
• Opposed war on Poverty and most of Great Society
Opposed Day Care centers as too "communal"
• Impounded funds to block expansion of the welfare state.
Ended "War on Poverty"
• "Positive Polarization"
o Hard Hat Riot, May 8, 1970, 4 days after Kent State, against
o New York City
o Arranges a counte