Students Left and Right
o Port Huron Statement (June11-15, 1962)
o "participatory democracy"
o Sharon Statement (Sept 11, 1960)
o "Liberty is indivisible"
o Networks and remained organized
o Balance between monarchy and unfettered democracy
o Conservation of individual liberty
o Many of them end up working in politics in the transition into the 1970s
• Working for conservative candidates, senators, reps, and ultimately the president
• "The 4th Great Awakening"
• Jerry Falwell
• Thomas Road Baptist Church
• Televangelist, "Old Time Gospel Hour"
• An organization promoting "pro-God, pro-Family" values in government
o Traditional gender roles
o Morality ratings
Free market capitalism
o Gov't stop supporting secular humanism
Population shift to Sunbelt
• Massive population shifts to the south half of the country
o NV +146%, for example
• More conservatives in south, more conservatives in congress
• Foreign Policy Hawks
• Disillusioned liberals "mugged by reality"
• Denounced post-Vietnam liberal foreign policy as defeatists and isolationist
• Made conservatism intellectually respectable
• Put off by Anti-Americanism of "New Left"
Conservative revival major factors
• YAF & Sharon Statement
• Tax Revolt
o Proposition 13
o Cut 57% of property taxes in California alone, limit increases of 1%
o Howard Jarvis
• PACs (political action committees)
o Unlimited soft money
• Direct mail (targeted mailing)
o Richard Vigurie