THE SOCHE BUFF'S GAZETTE
Professors Noh et al. 2¢
What Work Is:
1. The fundamental condition of human existence.
2. How we classify societies.
3. How we make a living and provide for self and family.
4. How we define ourselves and are defined by others.
5. A central framework of our daily behavior.
6. Creates discipline and meaning in our lives.
From Command Economy to Mixed-Market Economy
1. Command Economy
a. Directed by elites
2. Market Economy
a. Free exchange of goods and services
b. Fueled by money
1. Government intervenes to limit gross excesses.
a. Exploit workers
b. Produce shoddy goods
c. Endanger health
d. Monopolize markets
From Primary to Secondary to Tertiary
1. Primary = Extraction
a. Fishing, farming, forestry, mining.
b. 1870 was 55%, now 2%.
2. Secondary = Manufacturing
a. 1870 was 21%, now 13%
3. Tertiary = Services (Industry, not Jobs) usually someone who isn’t primary or secondary.
a. 1870 was 21%, now 83%.
From labor-intensive to capital-intensive
1. From animal power to machine power.
2. From Family farms to agribusiness.
3. From small business to giant corporations.
Urbanization of Production
1. Created by machine technology
2. Push of mechanization of agriculture.
3. Pull of mechanized factories.
[email protected] 10/31/2013 4. Rural to urban migration.
Increased Size of Work Organizations
1. 3 Million federal government employees.
2. 1.5 Million active military.
3. 1.5 Million military reserves.
4. 1.2 million Wal-Mart employees.
Changes in Labor Forces
1. Increased demand for educated workers.
2. Increased occupational specialization.
3. Increase in white collar occupations.
4. Increase in employment of women.
5. Unionization of production.
6. Birth and death occupations.
1. During the past half century shifts from:
a. Coal to electric power.
b. Train to truck and air transports.
c. Cargo ship to container ship.
d. Steel to plastic products
2. Made industry more mobile.
3. Internationalized Labor
1. Since the 1960’s
a. Off-shoring manufacturing jobs.
i. Lower-skill jobs
b. Cheaper labor and other business costs.