Sociology
Course
SOCY 200
Professor
J.Pease
Semester
Fall

Description
______________________________________________________________ 1 THE SOCHE BUFF'S GAZETTE Professors Noh et al. 2¢ DEMOCRACY Political Systems 1. Sociocracy - Rule of All 2. Theocracy - Rule of Priesthood 3. Monarchy - Rule of One 4. Democracy - Rule of Many 5. Kakistocracy - Rule Unqualified and Unprincipled The Democratic Trend 1. Single legal system 2. Decline of monarchy 3. State no longer private property 4. Universal suffrage a. Percentage eligible to vote in Britain i. 1830 – 5% ii. 1880 – 28% iii. 1920 – 74% iv. 1930 – 97% a. Women’s Suffrage i. 1893 – New Zealand (and Colorado) ii. 1902 – Australia iii. 1920 – USA & Canada iv. 1947 - France 5. Term limits 6. Right of commoners to oppose elite interests 7. State programs to benefit the poor Causes of the Democratic Trend 1. Industrial technology a. Required educated workers b. Created mass media i. 1830 – Newspapers ii. 1850 – Telegraph iii. 1870 – Telephone iv. 1900 – Radio [email protected] 11/10/2013 v. 1927 – Television vi. 1970 – Internet i. 1968 – 1972: Invention of Precursor ii. 1972: First email iii. 1992: www created iv. 1998: Google created 2. Mass political parties 3. Protestant reformation a. Authority can be successfully challenged b. All are created equal c. All should be politically equal 4. Frontier societies a. Absence of feudalism b. Strong merchant class c. Populated by commoners d. First in revolution Democracy 1. Consent of the governed a. System open to all b. Politicians accountable to citizens c. Legitimate process 2. Democracies are capitalistic a. Same values i. Emphasize individual rights ii. Reward ambition b. Achieve Goals i. Through competition ii. Under rule of law 3. Political stability a. law b. standard of living c. ideology d. military e. social complexity f. Class is most common basis of political conflict I'd Rather Be Studying_________________ [email protected] 11/10/2013 ______________________________________________________________ THE BANE OF AMERICAN DEMOCRACY Non-voting a. Presidential Elections = 45% b. Congressional Elections = 60% c. Local Elections = 75% Mass Media Doesn’t Educate a. Trivialize Issues b. Do not inform, do not explain history, trends, context Influence of Special Interest Money: Under the Influence a. Huge contributions b. Highly organized c. Access to top officials d. 24-hour surveillance POLITICS: WHO GETS WHAT WHEN AND HOW? Politics is essential to a free and democratic society. In a large, complex, and pluralistic society like ours, with a large number of different groups--different social classes, political parties, ethnicities, religions, labor unions, corporations, and so on, politics is indispensable. Different groups have different priorities, different concerns, different ways of looking at the same thing, different needs and different interests. And the interests of these groups are both legitimate and selfish. The interests of these different groups are legitimate because they represent the stake people have in the society and people in a free society are at liberty to pursue their interests as they see fit. But inte
More Less

Related notes for SOCY 200

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit