MGT 304 (25)
Lecture 7

MGT 304 Lecture 7: First Impressions

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Miami
MGT 304
Linda Neider

Applications of Attribution Theory Judging others Selection Ethnic profiling Performance evaluation Dealing with superiors, subordinates, customers Leader-Set High Expectations Communicate high expectations to followers in four ways: Create a warmer emotional climate Teach more and increase challenge Invite followers to ask questions Provide feedback on performance Individually-Set High Expectations Galatea Effect: when an individual sets high expectations for himself and then performs to these expectations Expectations and Low Performance Golem Effect: expectations may also work in the opposite direction, where lower expectations lead to lower performance Bosses can kill followers motivation by having low expectations Employability: How Potential Employers Perceive You Employability: the degree to which you are perceived as employable, which may determine whether or not you are hired Employability is the ability to gain and maintain a job in a formal organization Determinants of Employability Reinforce these before leaving an interview recency effect I have what it takes to work here and I will work hard. First Impressions Perceiver uses all senses to evaluate and form judgement (first impressions count and take longer to overcome) How long does it take to make a first impression? Takes 7 seconds to make a first impression Research fro
More Less

Related notes for MGT 304

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.