2 Pages
Summer 2013

Department
Nursing
Course Code
NUR 306
Professor
Linda Parker

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
8/26/13
Health/fitness depend on interrelated factors
genetic traits: 19%
environmental factors: pollution, radiation, bicycles/walking 20%
lifestyle factors: availability of nutritious food 51%
health care: 10%
diet
nutritional deficiency diseases like rickets(vitamin d deficiency) and pellagra (vitamin
b deficiency) were once common
now all baby formula in the US has to meet certain specifications (iron
fortified)
now, life-style related chronic diseases are major causes of death (heart diseases,
cancers, diabetes, stroke, Alzheimer's disease)
chronic means long-term (may take 25/30 years to manifest), not curable, can be
managed
Diabetes (diabetes mellitus)
abnormal glucose utilization and high blood glucose levels
type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes
Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Stroke (cerebral vascular accident)
Alzheimer's Disease
Leading cause of death in US is heart diseases, followed by cancers and stroke
Dietary risk factors are associated with development of chronic inflammation and
oxidative stress (at the cellular level)
ex: heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, osteoporosis, cancer,
Osteoporosis
bones become fragile and susceptible to fracture due to a loss of
calcium/phosphorous and other minerals, impacted by bone building nutrients
(vitamin d, involved in deposition and metabolism of calcium in bone crystals)
Free radicals
steal electrons from nearby molecules
can damage lipids, proteins, DNA by altering their chemical functions
foods that decrease stress: fruits/veggies, whole grains, nuts etc
foods that increase stress: process, high-fat, baked etc
americans tend to choose energy-dense, nutrient-poor, pose high risks to
health, high in calories, low in fiber, fruits/ veggies
chronic diseases prevalent in the United States have roots in dietary changes over past
centuries,
humans used to survive by hunting
now gathering food is not strenuous, feasts not followed by famine
now food is very processed to add longevity
disease rates change as countries adopt western diets (life expectancy goes down,
heart disease and cancer rates go up)
japan has longest life expectancy
study: after ww2, japanese who lived in hawaii were studied and contrasted with
japanese living in japan, looked at rate of breast cancer/cardiovascular disease, US
japanese had significantly higher rate
typical japanese diet: less processed food, high in fish, less saturated fats

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
8/26/13 Health/fitness depend on interrelated factors genetic traits: 19% environmental factors: pollution, radiation, bicycles/walking 20% lifestyle factors: availability of nutritious food 51% health care: 10% diet nutritional deficiency diseases like rickets(vitamin d deficiency) and pellagra (vitamin b deficiency) were once common now all baby formula in the US has to meet certain specifications (iron fortified) now, life-style related chronic diseases are major causes of death (heart diseases, cancers, diabetes, stroke, Alzheimer's disease) chronic means long-term (may take 25/30 years to manifest), not curable, can be managed Diabetes (diabetes mellitus) abnormal glucose utilization and high blood glucose levels type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes Hypertension (high blood pressure) Stroke (cerebral vascular accident) Alzheimer's Disease Leading cause of death in US is heart diseases, followed by cancers and stroke Dietary risk factors are associated with development of chronic inflammation and oxidative stress (at the cellular level) ex: heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, osteoporosis, cancer, Osteoporosis bones become fragile and susceptible to fracture due to a loss of calcium/phosphorous and other minerals, impacted by bone building nutrients (vitamin d, involved in deposition and metabolism of calcium in bone crystals) Free radicals steal electrons from nearby molecules can damage lipids, proteins, DNA by altering their chemical functions foods that decrease stress: fruits/veggies, whole grains, nuts etc foods that increase stress: process, high-fat, baked etc americans tend to choose energy-dense, nutrient-poor, pose high risks to health, high in calories, low in fiber, fruits/ veggies chronic diseases prevalent in the United States have roots in dietary changes over past centuries, humans used to survive by hunting now gathering food is not strenuous, feasts not followed by famine now food is very processed to add longevity disease rates change as countries adopt western diets (life expectancy goes down, heart disease and cancer rates go up) japan has longest life exp
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit