PSY 260 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Ernest Hilgard, Confirmation Bias, Cybernetics

39 views2 pages

Document Summary

The egotistical ego: theory by anthony greenwald, egocentrism, beneffectance, conservatism. Egocentrism: the person is the center of all he/she learns, some part is unique, example: different people learn about different parts of campus. Egotistical ego: ultimately your mental model is unique: Spend a lot of time in the wellness center: beneffectance. A person takes responsibility for desired outcomes and not undesired outcomes. As i approached the intersection, a sign suddenly appeared in a place where a stop sign had never appeared before. I was unable to stop in time and avoid an accident. I was attempting to swerve out of its way when it struck my front end: confirmation bias. Once one makes up one"s mind, one looks for confirming rather than disconfirming evidence. Feedback loops: come in different forms, concept originated with cybernetics and the work of norbert. Weiner: we are mostly interested in a negative feedback loop. Negative because it eliminates (negates) discrepancies between standard and the outcome.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers