Business Administration
Course
BNAD 100
Professor
Rob Mateucci
Semester
Spring

Description
Session 10—Consulting I. Consulting A. Consultant = an "expert who gives advice" 1. People who work in consulting give advice to companies for a fee 2. Are hired and paid by companies to solve a specific problem 3. Gather information • Research (read) • Learn and interpret information • Analyze large sets of data • Interview people--another way to learn 4. Summarize and Present information • Write summaries and opinions--synthesize your findings • Summarize data • Create PPT slides to present--to boss, clients, B. Industry by numbers • 700K + consulting firms registered in the U.S. • Most of these firms are made up of 1 or 2 individuals • 1.5 million people work in consulting in the U.S. • $223 Billion of revenue in 2016 Why do companies hire consulting firms? 1. There's a problem they don't know how to solve 2. There's a problem they don’t have time to solve 3. They need a unique perspective to make the best decision 4. They need a lot of people to tackle a new project 5. Sometimes it is cheaper & easier to hire consultants instead of hiring more & the right employees D. 3 Primary Types of Consulting 1. Strategy Consulting = help a company's executive officers make high-level decisions to improve the company's performance -- "I HAVE A PROBLEM, WHAT DO I DO?" • 3 "elite" consulting Firms specialize in Strategy Consulting: • Bain (5700 employees) • McKinsey (11,000 employees) • Boston Consulting Group (6200 employees) • Expensive advice • Example: • You are a CEO of a company and are faced with a problem--hire a consultant to help you find a solution • EX: Cement Work stream Project • Consultants are like ambassadors for content • Gather and create content
More Less

Related notes for BNAD 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit