Public Health
Course
CPH 200
Professor
willis
Semester
Spring

Description
Chapter 5 Chapter Overview: 1. Public health functions and practice before 1988 a. History of public health responsibilities in US 2. Public health functions and practice after 1988 a. Current and Future public health responsibilities in US 3. Community health assessment and improvement tools a. MAPP, CHIP, PACE, etc. 4. Strategic planning, standards, and accreditation a. SWOT analysis, etc. Public Health Past 1900-1920s 5. Evolution of Public Health practice: Pre-1950 a. Before 1914: Mainly prevention and control of infectious disease b. Afer 1914: Began to catalogue actual services of health agencies i. Unsafe working conditions c. 1921: APHA (American Public Health Association- still around) i. called for systematic collection of infor on LHDS ii. LHDs= local health departments 1. Operate at small, local levels; mostly deal with geographic community health 1920s-1930s 1. 1920s-1930s: APHA committee made assessment form from LHDS to measure public health services, including: a. Birth and death records b. Vaccinations by age group c. School-aged children health issues and treatments d. Tb cases hospitalized and treated e. Lab tests 2. Those assessment made the public aware of the quality of their local health departments KNOW THE EMERSON REPORT 1940s 1. Assessment was enhanced to cover more specific and expanded LHD functions 2. The Emerson Report (1945): postwar plan for US public health a. Recommended LHDs Serve minimum of 50,000 people so they could consolidate b. 6 basic services i. Vital statistics ii. Sanitation iii. Communicable disease control iv. Maternal & child health v. Health Education vi. Lab services KNOW AGPALL
More Less

Related notes for CPH 200

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit