Class Notes (998,880)
US (389,567)
UC (640)
BIOL (185)
BIOL 1082 (59)
Mosley (23)
Lecture 33

BIOL 1082 Lecture Notes - Lecture 33: Human Leukocyte Antigen, Adaptive Immune System, Innate Immune System
Premium

3 Pages
Spring 2018

Department
Biological Sciences
Course Code
BIOL 1082
Professor
Mosley
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Ch. 51 LO 3.20
Defenses against pathogens Textbook Reading: Concepts: 51.1-51.5 and pgs. 1081-1082
1. Describe the barrier and internal defenses that function as the innate immune system of
vertebrates. Explain why these are considered non-adaptive defenses.
Innate immune system: recognition of traits shared by broad ranges of pathogens, using
small set of receptors to bind molecules or structures. Activates internal defenses
enabling responses--nonspecific
Barrier Defense:
1. Skin, mucous membranes, secretions
Internal defenses:
1. Phagocytic cells, natural killers, Antimicrobial proteins, inflammatory response,
lysozyme, hemocrytes(phagocytosis), interferon
Not considered adaptive because adaptive occurs with tremendous specificity. Innate
immune system is to broad spectrum.
1. insects and invertebrates
2. List the four major characteristics of adaptive immunity and how they are brought about.
1-Response is antigen-dependent
2-There is a lag time between exposure and maximal response
3-Antigen-specific
4-Exposure results in immunologic memory
1. For each of the following molecules describe their composition, where they originate from, and
their function in adaptive immunity: Epitope, Antigen, MHC, Antibody, and Cytokines.
Epitope:
1. A molecular region on the surface of an antigen capable of eliciting an immune
response and of combining with the specific antibody produced by such a
response, antigenic determinant
Antigen:
1. Is any substance which provokes an adaptive immune response. [1] An antigen is
often foreign or toxic to the body (for example, a bacterium) which, once in the
body, attracts and is bound to a respective and specific antibody.
MHC
1. Is a set of cell surface molecules encoded by a large gene family in all vertebrates
which controls a major part of the immune system. MHC molecules mediate
interactions of leukocytes, also called white blood cells (WBCs), which are
immune cells, with other leukocytes or with body cells. MHC determines
compatibility of donors for organ transplant as well as one's susceptibility to an
autoimmune disease via cross reacting immunization. In humans, MHC is also
called human leukocyte antigen (HLA)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Ch. 51 LO 3.20 Defenses against pathogens Textbook Reading: Concepts: 51.151.5 and pgs. 10811082 1. Describe the barrier and internal defenses that function as the innate immune system of vertebrates. Explain why these are considered nonadaptive defenses. Innate immune system: recognition of traits shared by broad ranges of pathogens, using small set of receptors to bind molecules or structures. Activates internal defenses enabling responsesnonspecific Barrier Defense: 1. Skin, mucous membranes, secretions Internal defenses: 1. Phagocytic cells, natural killers, Antimicrobial proteins, inflammatory response, lysozyme, hemocrytes(phagocytosis), interferon Not considered adaptive because adaptive occurs with tremendous specificity. Innate immune system is to broad spectrum. 1. insects and invertebrates 2. List the four major characteristics of adaptive immunity and how they are brought about. 1Response is antigendependent 2There is a lag time between exposure and maximal response 3Antigenspecific 4Exposure results in immunologic memory 1. For each of the following molecules describe their composition, where they originate from, and their function in adaptive immunity: Epitope, Antigen, MHC, Antibody, and Cytokines. Epitope: 1. A molecular region on the surface of an antigen capable of eliciting an immune response and of combining with the specific antibody produced by such a response, antigenic determinant Antigen: 1. Is any substance which provokes an adaptive immune response. [1] An antigen is often foreign or toxic to the body (for example, a bacterium) which, once in the body, attracts and is bound to a respective and specific antibody. MHC 1. Is a set of cell surface molecules encoded by a large gene family in all vertebrates which controls a major part of the immune system. MHC molecules mediate interactions of leukocytes, also called white blood cells (WBCs), which are immune cells, with other leukocytes or with body cells. MHC determines compatibility of donors for organ transplant as well as ones susceptibility to an autoimmune disease via cross reacting immunization. In humans, MHC is also called human leukocyte antigen (HLA)
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit