Class Notes (998,880)
US (389,567)
UC (640)
BIOL (185)
BIOL 1082 (59)
Mosley (23)
Lecture 37

BIOL 1082 Lecture Notes - Lecture 37: Sliding Filament Theory, Human Musculoskeletal System, Endoplasmic Reticulum
Premium

2 Pages
Spring 2018

Department
Biological Sciences
Course Code
BIOL 1082
Professor
Mosley
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Ch. 46 LO
Musculoskeletal system Textbook Reading: Sections: 46.1 & 46.4
1. Explain the sliding filament mechanism of skeletal muscle contraction.
The length of muscle determines the relationship between the thick and thin filaments.
The amount of overlap determines the number of potential cross bridges that may be
formed
A short L, there is overlap of thin filament into the region of the thick filament with no
myosin head or cross bridges.
As the length is increased towards Lo more and more possible cross bridges may be
formed, when Lo is exceed then there will be myosin heads in the center of the sarcomere
that can't bind to actin sites and the number of potential cross bridges are reduced.
2. Describe the origin and role of calcium in muscle contraction.
Calcium binds to troponin that is around actin
In turn this triggers the sarcoplasmic reticulum to release calcium ions into the
muscle interior where they bind to troponin, thus causing tropomyosin to shift from the
face of the actin filament to which myosin heads need to bind to produce contraction.
1. Explain how motor units produce precise coordinated movement.
In vertebrates, each branched neuron can motor neuron may synapse with many muscle
fibers, although each fiber is controlled by only one motor neuron.
A motor unit: a single motor neuron and all of the muscle fibers it controls
When a motor neuron produces an action potential, all the muscle fibers in it motor unit
contract as a group.
As more and more of the more and more of the neurons controlling the muscles are
activated a process called recruitment, the force (tension) developed by a muscle
progressively increases depending on the number of motor neurons your brain recruits and
the size of their motor units.
The nervous system regulates muscle contraction not only by controlling which motor units
are activated but also by varying the rate of muscle fiber stimulation.
A single action potential produces a twitch lasting about 100 milliseconds. If a second action
potential arrives before the muscle fiber has completely relaxed, the two twitches add
together resulting in a greater tension.
Further summation occurs as the rate of stimulation increases.
When the rate is so high that the muscle fiber cannot relax at all between the stimuli, the
twitches fuse into one smooth sustained contraction cell tetanus.
2. Differentiate between tetanus and twitches, and between slow-twitch and fast-twitch muscle
fibers.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Ch. 46 LO Musculoskeletal system Textbook Reading: Sections: 46.1 46.4 1. Explain the sliding filament mechanism of skeletal muscle contraction. The length of muscle determines the relationship between the thick and thin filaments. The amount of overlap determines the number of potential cross bridges that may be formed A short L, there is overlap of thin filament into the region of the thick filament with no myosin head or cross bridges. As the length is increased towards Lo more and more possible cross bridges may be formed, when Lo is exceed then there will be myosin heads in the center of the sarcomere that cant bind to actin sites and the number of potential cross bridges are reduced. 2. Describe the origin and role of calcium in muscle contraction. Calcium binds to troponin that is around actin In turn this triggers the sarcoplasmic reticulum to release calcium ions into the muscle interior where they bind to troponin, thus causing tropomyosin to shift from the face of the actin filament to which myosin heads need to bind to produce contraction. 1. Explain how motor units produce precise coordinated movement. In vertebrates, each branched neuron can motor neuron may synapse with many muscle fibers, although each fiber is controlled by only one motor neuron. A motor unit: a single motor neuron and all of the muscle fibers it controls When a motor neuron produces an action potential, all the muscle fibers in it motor unit contract as a group. As more and more of the more and more of the neurons controlling the muscles are activated a process called recruitment, the force (tension) developed by a muscle progressively increases depending on the number of motor neurons your brain recruits and the size of their motor units. The nervous system regulates muscle contraction not only by controlling which motor units are activated but also by varying the rate of muscle fiber stimulation. A single action potential produces a twitch lasting about 100 milliseconds. If a second action potential arrives before the muscle fiber has completely relaxed, the two twitches add together resulting in a greater tension. Further summation occurs as the rate of stimulation increases. When the rate is so high that the muscle fiber cannot relax at all between the stimuli, the twitches fuse into one smooth sustained contraction cell tetanus. 2. Differentiate between tetanus and twitches, and between slowtwitch and fasttwitch muscle fibers.
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit