Class Notes (997,807)
US (389,151)
UC (636)
BIOL (185)
BIOL 1082 (59)
Mosley (23)
Lecture 39

BIOL 1082 Lecture Notes - Lecture 39: Membrane Potential, Excitatory Postsynaptic Potential, Motor Neuron
Premium

3 Pages
Spring 2018

Department
Biological Sciences
Course Code
BIOL 1082
Professor
Mosley
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Ch. 43 LO Part 2
Action potential, synapses, and PNS Textbook Reading: Concepts: 43.2-43.3 & 43.5
1. Describe how membrane potential can be altered in response to a stimulus.
Changes in the membrane potential occur because neurons contained gated ion
channels.
Gated Ion Channel: ion channels that open or close in response to stimuli.
o When gated ion channels are stimulated to open, ions flow across the
membrane changing the membrane potential.
o The increase in magnitude of the membrane potential is hyperpolarization. This
makes the inside of the membrane more negative.
Hyperpolarization results from any stimulus that increases the outflow of positive ions
of the inflow of negative ions.
o A reduction in the magnitude of membrane potential is depolarization.
Depolarization often occurs with sodium channels. If a stimulus causes the gated sodium
channels to open, the membrane's permeability to NA+ increases, NA+ diffuses into a
cell.
2. Distinguish between graded potentials and action potentials.an action potential, identifying the
phases of the action potential and the causes of the voltage changes at the membrane level.
Graded potential- When the response to hyperpolarization or depolarization is just a
shift in membrane potential.
o Grade potential has a magnitude that varies with the strength of the stimulus. A
larger stimulus causes a greater change in the membrane potential.
o A larger stimulus produces a larger hyperpolarization. Which causes K+ to move
out the neuron. Making the cell more negative.
o A larger stimulus produces a large depolarization. Which causes NA+ to move in
making the cell less negative since positive ions are moving in.
o Graded potential induces a small electrical current that leaks out the neuron as it
flows along the membrane. As they leak the move further from neuron and time
passes, the grade potential decays.
Action potential- When depolarization shifts the membrane potential sufficiently, the
result is a massive change in membrane voltage.
o The membrane voltage is called an action potential.
o Action potentials have a constant magnitude and doesn't vary. They can
regenerate in adjacent regions of the membrane. Therefore, they can spread
along axons making them well suited for transmitting a signal over a long
distance.
3. Describe how action potentials are propagated, and sometimes accelerated, along axons.
Explain why action potentials are unidirectional and always travel without loss of signal.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Ch. 43 LO Part 2 Action potential, synapses, and PNS Textbook Reading: Concepts: 43.243.3 43.5 1. Describe how membrane potential can be altered in response to a stimulus. Changes in the membrane potential occur because neurons contained gated ion channels. Gated Ion Channel: ion channels that open or close in response to stimuli. o When gated ion channels are stimulated to open, ions flow across the membrane changing the membrane potential. o The increase in magnitude of the membrane potential is hyperpolarization. This makes the inside of the membrane more negative. Hyperpolarization results from any stimulus that increases the outflow of positive ions of the inflow of negative ions. o A reduction in the magnitude of membrane potential is depolarization. Depolarization often occurs with sodium channels. If a stimulus causes the gated sodium channels to open, the membranes permeability to NA+ increases, NA+ diffuses into a cell. 2. Distinguish between graded potentials and action potentials.an action potential, identifying the phases of the action potential and the causes of the voltage changes at the membrane level. Graded potential When the response to hyperpolarization or depolarization is just a shift in membrane potential. o Grade potential has a magnitude that varies with the strength of the stimulus. A larger stimulus causes a greater change in the membrane potential. o A larger stimulus produces a larger hyperpolarization. Which causes K+ to move out the neuron. Making the cell more negative. o A larger stimulus produces a large depolarization. Which causes NA+ to move in making the cell less negative since positive ions are moving in. o Graded potential induces a small electrical current that leaks out the neuron as it flows along the membrane. As they leak the move further from neuron and time passes, the grade potential decays. Action potential When depolarization shifts the membrane potential sufficiently, the result is a massive change in membrane voltage. o The membrane voltage is called an action potential. o Action potentials have a constant magnitude and doesnt vary. They can regenerate in adjacent regions of the membrane. Therefore, they can spread along axons making them well suited for transmitting a signal over a long distance. 3. Describe how action potentials are propagated, and sometimes accelerated, along axons. Explain why action potentials are unidirectional and always travel without loss of signal.
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit