English
Course
ENGL 3326
Professor
Dr.Terrence Theodore Tucker
Semester
Spring

Description
AFRICAN AMERICAN LITERATURE AFTER HARLEM REN. 3282017 1. GabrielFlorences Mother a. Gabriel Deborah Esther a. Royal^ ii. Elizabeth 1. Sarah, Roy, Ruth iii. John^ b. Florence Frank i. Gabriel, looks down and hopes for the downfall of his sister 1. This has always been the point for Gabriel. It seems to be generational as shown by Sarah and Johns excitement and wish of Roys pain to see their father suffer. 2. If John is the good kid and Roy is the troublemaker, why does he get the better treatment? a. Florence implies that Roy is just like Gabriel (like father, like son.) i. Obvious to Florence to Gabriel prefers Roy over John ii. Florence can talk to and treat Gabriel in a way that the rest of his family is either unable to do or too scared to do. iii. Able to wield power and illuminate Gabriels behavior in a way others cannot b. The sense of terror and fear is more important than the surface of Gabriels persona. i. If Gabriel can save Roy from the violence of life that Gabriel experienced as a kid, it would validate his decisions to marry a Christian woman and be in the church, etc. ii. Gabriels fear of his own childhood and Roys wrongdoings feed into his life and how he treats those around them. 3. Anger a. One of the few emotions that men can express
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 3326

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit