INTL 280 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Wangari Maathai, Green Belt Movement, Metal Toxicity

62 views2 pages

Document Summary

Jane goodall: renown climatologist, the threat of animal agriculture, we are (cid:498)the most intellectual beings(cid:499) to ever walk the earth, yet we are still destroying the planet, hope=powerful. Environmental impacts of mining: acid mine drainage formation, acid solution formed bc mining exposes metal sulfides (e. g. pyrites) to water and air. Erosion and sedimentation: cyanide and other chemical releases, used in the refining process to leach and separate valuable minerals from other unwanted minerals. Fugitive dust emissions: ore crushing, moving, loading bins, blasting, mine and motor vehicle traffic, use of hauling roads, waste rock piles, windblown tailings, and disturbed areas, dust can contain toxic heavy metals such as arsenic and lead. Habitat modification: mining affects aquatic habitats (e. g lakes, ponds, streams, rivers), terrestrial habitats (e. g. deserts, grasslands, forests), and wetlands than many organisms rely on for survival. Surface and groundwater contamination: water becomes easily contaminated at mine sites when it comes into contact with waste rock and tailings.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers