J 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Albus Dumbledore, Gerund
97 views2 pages
J101 – Lecture #6 – Review
Make sure you understand: (see last class notes)
• Compliment vs. complement
• What a sentence needs
• How to correctly punctuate a quote
• Types of sentences
Verb vs. Gerund
Verb: activity/action vs gerund: looks like a verb, but is a noun
Ex: I know the answer. Ex: Jogging is fun.
Tips for Professional Work
• Always spell names right
• Don’t trust spell check all the time
• Think critically about your own work
• Mistakes in the real world happen, that’s why this class matters
**Mantra: “What could conceivably be wrong with this sentence?”
• Never stop asking yourself this when it comes to final work.
Ex: Ally said that her boyfriend’s man bun “totally works.” correct!
• Quoting just part of a comment or term
• No comma is needed because there is no attribution
• No capitalization is needed because it is only part of a quote that is being quoted