J 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Preposition And Postposition, Exclamation Mark, Independent Clause

105 views4 pages

Document Summary

J101 lecture #5 clauses, sentences, and punctuation. Compliment vs. complement: compliment: saying something nice to someone, ex: you look beautiful, complement: two things that match or support each other, ex: the wine complements the steak. Revisiting clauses: dependent clause: part of a sentence, cannot stand on its own, depends on other elements to complete the sentence. Independent clause: subject & verb, can stand alone. Ex: i go to the university of oregon and major in journalism. I am a resident, so i pay lower tuition. I am a resident and i pay lower tuition. *knowing the clauses determines the punctuation in a sentence. For more information: visit professor curtis" memo on canvas. 4 basic kinds of sentences: declarative sentence: makes a statement, ex: my name is katniss everdeen. *a sentence must have a subject and verb. *know the clauses in order to punctuate a sentence correctly. An easier way to think about : example:

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers