COMM 3313 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Apple Juice

52 views2 pages

Document Summary

Assumption: human beings as storytelling animals and narrative as the means by which we make sense of our experiences and ourselves, organize and understand events, and recount experiences. For health prevention efforts, narratives can be: fiction, non-fiction, first person, third person. Testimony: a form of first-person narrative, first person narratives are the most effective in health prevention efforts, documents the firsthand experiences of a single individual from that person"s perspective. I just stood at the party carrying my red cup. The apple juice i put in it looked like beer to the others. Qualities of narrative messages that make them particularly promising for health intervention: Narrative messages can: overcome resistance toward the advocated health behavior, engage less involved audiences, reach low-knowledge audiences, render complex information comprehensible, ground messages in the cultures and experiences of the target audience. Narrative engagement framework: enhance narrative knowledge. Enhancing the human capacity to construct mental models: provide behavioral models.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers