CSP 161 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Fundamental Attribution Error, Cognitive Miser, Social Cognition

13 views3 pages

Document Summary

Social cognition process by which people think about and make sense of other people, themselves, & social situations i. e. ho(cid:449) people i(cid:374)itially fo(cid:396)(cid:373) i(cid:373)p(cid:396)essio(cid:374)s of ea(cid:272)h othe(cid:396)"s pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)alities, emotions, roles, & identities. People are motivated to make sense of the world by seeing ordered patterns. Humans have a limited capacity to cope with all of the information coming our way (attention & info processing: only process a small amount of information at a given time moonwalking bear. Cognitive miser we process a subset of the information around us just enough to survive: malfunction (cognitive bloopers) helps us learn about function. Dispositional inference att(cid:396)i(cid:271)uti(cid:374)g so(cid:373)eo(cid:374)e"s (cid:271)eha(cid:448)io(cid:396) to thei(cid:396) pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)al (cid:395)ualities rather than the situation (use their personality in order to explain their actions they did this because they are friendly) Fundamental attribution error instead of making situational inferences, we automatically make these dispositional inferences causing a bias. People were told that debater freely chose or was forced to write the essay.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers